Family physicians can help you and your entire family to maintain good overall health by focusing on preventive care. Family physicians often know the medical history of the entire family from treating the parents and the children. They often work closely with other specialties for fast diagnosis and treatment in case of serious illnesses or incidences. Some insurance companies even require you to choose a family physician
There are different areas of specialization in medicine Raleigh NC. You may be wondering who exactly qualifies as a family physician. The following specialties apply:
- General practitioners: These kinds of doctors are qualified to care for patients of any age or gender. They often do not have an area of specialization and are usually involved in the diagnosis and treatment of common illness.
- Internal medicine: doctors in this field are referred to as internists. They treat disease using medicine, unlike surgeons who operate to treat and cure. Internists can have several sub-specialties such as diabetes treatment or geriatric care.
- Pediatrics: pediatricians can also act as family doctors. They specialize in the overall well being of children between birth and adolescence. They also have sub-specialties.
Choosing a Family Physician Raleigh NC
Choosing a family physician can be quite a challenge because you want someone you can trust and rely on. Randomly picking a name off the phonebook is absolutely not an option. The following are some of the ways you can find a family physician today.
- Through your insurance plan: You can find a list of doctors in your insurer networks to choose from. It may be necessary to have a family physician before you can be treated under a HMO or PPO plan.
- Personal referrals: Getting a referral from a friend can probably help you build more trust in a physician than any other source. Meeting former patients who are healthy and doing well thanks to a family physician can encourage you to choose a particular doctor. Do not be afraid to ask your co-workers, friends, family or even other moms and dads at your kid’s school for a referral.
- Your current doctor: You can also find a good family physician through your current doctor. If your family has expanded or if you are moving to a new area, your doctor can get you in contact with some great physicians that they would recommend for quality services.
Take a moment and explore more of our informative articles below: